...it really sucks if you do. Yup, that's just another thing we've had pounded into our heads here again and again. The Japanese judicial system is very strict, and there is a zero tolerance policy for anything.
Caught with anything except a 0.0% blood alcohol content while drive? 6 months (up to 3 years or something?) in jail with fees around $5,000. Don't expect to have your job back when you come out either. In the car with a driver who has had anything to drink? You get the same charges. (Luckily, if you can't get home, they have a service that you call up where two guys in one car come to drive you and your car home...not that I plan to ever use these services or break these laws, but still fascinating).
Caught with illegal substances? Expect even more pricy fines, years of jail time, and definite deportation from the company if you are foreigner. Co-workers find that you did drugs in the past? Expect to be ostracized and possibly fired anyway.
Arrested for anything? Expect to be imprisoned for up to a month, even if you are innocent, while they investigate your case. They don't have to give you a translator, either.
Like to carry pocketknives because they are so handy? Those are considered concealed weapons, and you can get arrested for carrying them around and jailed.
MORAL OF STORY: I don't think many of you have to worry about committing crimes like these, and I am really just sharing this info because I find it so interesting, but DON'T GET ARRESTED IN JAPAN. It's just about the worst thing. Ever.
Not worry about carrying pocket knives? I would be arrested in a second.
ReplyDeleteHAHA at Greg. He's the first person I thought of when I read this.
ReplyDeletePS. Great blog, Erik :)