Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Embarrassing Questions, Episode 1.

Episode 1 should really begin with the first time I am asked an embarrassing question, but I think I can do a preview episode where I explain the situation and provide a hilarious anecdote from today.

Multiple speakers at orientation have informed us that getting embarrassing questions from students and coworkers, in addition to being touched inappropriately, is sort of inevitable no matter how many times you spell out where your personal space exists and what information is private to you?  Girls will be asked what size bra they wear, or someone might just try to figure it out for themselves with a little hands on experiment.  Guys will be asked how big they are, and will be forced to become "No-Touchie!" ninjas to block poking and grabs from any curious little kids.

We were told about the "Do you have a [significant other]?" question so much that we were able to incorporate it into a practice teaching session in which we played the role of the students.  Just listen:

(students ask the JET questions about his or her life to get to know them; they have to stand up and wave like it's a press conference before they can sit down)

Student 1: Where are you from?
JET: Indiana, in the USA!
Student 2: Do you have a boyfriend?
JET: (laughs) No. I do not have a boyfriend at this time.
Student 3: Do you want a boyfriend?
JET: Yes. I want a sugar-daddy. (<----Delivered with completely straight face)

Our Japanese Teacher of English (JTE) who taught us about co-teaching today was absolutely hilarious and everyone adored him.  He was definitely not your stereotypical reserved, quiet Japanese man. His favorite line throw in between exercises was "Am I a very goood Engrish teacher? Yes or yes?"  It may not sound like a knee-slapper in writing, but when an overly energetic little Japanese man says it with a very thick Japanese accent....  someone even asked during the Q&A session "Can you come with me to my prefecture and be my JTE?"

No comments:

Post a Comment