Unexciting title, but descriptive.
No real trip could start without at least one morning where you wake up before six, drag yourself out in the cold, and 'catch' a series of trains and buses to your destination. That's what happened this morning when Sam (my traveling companion/JCF small group leader) and I woke up in his cold apartment and dragged ourselves outside to the bus stop. Though most of the winter weather I've experienced so far in Japan has been fairly pitiable compared to even Mid-Atlantic winters, the weather has been about freezing since Christmas Eve, when snow started to fall around various parts of southern Japan.
Luckily, after the bumpy bus ride through central Nagasaki, we boarded a very comfy JR express train to Fukuoka, the place where I studied abroad and the place where we'd meet Sam's friend Sayaka and board the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto.
Kyoto: not a city I am familiar with, nor a city that I had researched adequately before coming here. All of us had a 'let's figure it out when we get there' attitude, and although we got to see some cool stuff in our first day, we also spent a lot of time being lost and walking very long distances to places we thought were right around the corner. There was a probably times when it was my fault, but oh well. All of us know more about the layout of East Kyoto now.
No laundry listing here: go ahead and check out the facebook/picassa albums. The only cool part which didn't make the photo list was the interior of one temple that featured 1000 statues life-sized wooden statues of the Buddha surrounding a Giant metal buddha. Check out the wikipedia article for Sanjusangen.
No comments:
Post a Comment