Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fall Memories

The trees are finally starting to change color around Amakusa.

Today, while I was at my largest (and favorite?) elementary school, 大江 Ooe elementary, I got invited to go fishing after school with the 5th and 6th graders.  When 2:30 rolled around, all the 5th and 6th grade boys busted out their tackle boxes and fishing rods and lined up for departure in the playground.  We marched through town, saying 'Konnichiwa!' to everyone we met on our way (that's "Hello" for those of you who don't know).

It was a slightly windy and partly cloudy day.  The rocky cliffs shined brilliantly in the late afternoon soon, and little splashes of fall color could be seen all throughout the forest covered hills.  It was one of those days that I'm reminded of what I wonderful place I live in.

Standing on a jetty in the harbor and hooking shrimp and worms for bait, we cast (or dipped) our lines into the water.  Within minutes, people were already catching fish.  Nothing was bigger than my fore-arm, but the wish weren't exactly minnows either.  Instead of cigarettes and beer, lollipops and warm, sweet canned coffee (which you can buy in the vending machines) were consumed by all.

When the number of bites started declining, we departed for a short adventure along the beach and up the hill to the light house overlooking the harbor.  Snapping a shot of the view, we headed back down to build a 'house' with driftwood on the beach.

...yeah second childhood!

(I'd post pictures of my kids holding their 'catches of the day,' but I'm not allowed to in a public forum.  Shoot me an email, though, and I'll send them to you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment