Sunday, October 24, 2010

Good and Bad Points about being a small town JET

1.)  Everything you share about yourself becomes public knowledge.  Mentioning that you once did track in high school to one of your teachers at one of your elementary schools will mean that everyone in a 20 mile radius will know this small part of your personal history.

2.) Your whereabouts are also public knowledge.  If one of your students saw you shopping at JUSCO for orange juice, everyone in your five villages will a.) know that you went to JUSCO on Saturday and b.) think that you probably like orange juice.

3.) If you are seen having a conversation with anyone of the opposite sex while out in public, everyone will immediately assume that that person is your significant other.  It doesn't seem like Japanese people don't have too many platonic relationships with members of the opposite sex.

Good points:

1.)  If you meet one of your students outside of school, you'll make that kid's day.  Now that kid will have something to tell all of his friends (that he saw/met Erik-sensei at blah blah blah) when he gets back home.  Also, the braver kids will approach you and tell you the results of the soccer/baseball game they played that day or show you their newest pokemon game.  One kid even showed me his mom's car keys...  I'm still not sure how to react most of the time.

2.)  Parents driving with their kids in the car will honk at you and wave.  Some students will even hangout the window to wave at you.

3.) People are generally very nice and always willing to help you out and talk with you.

Some of the above points are slightly exaggerated (but sometimes feels like they are true) and some are completely true. Honestly I really don't mind all of the attention, and since I rarely have anything to hide, the lack of privacy doesn't bother me at all.

3 comments:

  1. How many significant others have you acquired in town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I constantly need to remind myself that I'm no longer at Swat, because when I read about their assumptions about significant others, the first thing that flashed into my mind was, "Small towns in Japan must be very heteronormative."

    ReplyDelete